View Single Post
      01-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #49
BelgiumsterlingZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 s-drive 28i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdss6 View Post
Greetings. To my surprise the European debut of the 2015 M3/4 occurred at the Brussels Auto Show instead of waiting for the Geneva show in March. But lucky for me.

And I learned a few things from the BMW reps:
- The M emblem in the seats is not backlit. The logo is made of a "glow in the dark" material, but it is not powered.
- At least in Europe, the trim is optionally glossy or matte. At the show it was glossy.

Per my own impression of the new seats as someone who is 6'2" with most of my height in my legs and who had an E46 M3, they are comfortable and supportive. There is no extendable thigh support, but the new seat offers at least as good if not better thigh support than did the E46 seat with the adjustable support. My critique is that they don't provide much lateral support up near the shoulders. They look good and like they would provide some cornering support, but I could easily rock side to side. I hope the cloth will provide more gripe. Though I was disappointed that the cloth in the 2-series on hand proved to be almost as slippery as leather...

Edit - A note on size. I've added a photo demonstrating the rear legroom in the sedan. I've seen multiple size comparisons to the E39, and while the exterior dimensions are similar, as a former E39 owner (who used it for a family trip) I find no comparison on rear legroom. The F80/82 is much better. For the photo I had the front seat adjusted to a comfortable position for my long legs and my knees still cleared the seat back. To me the new car is the perfect size to just carry four adults in comfort without being too big. I think BMW should also have a smaller rear drive sedan (i.e. 4-door version of the new 2-series), but for my needs I'm quite happy with the apparent practicality of the new cars (with no increase in weight or loss of speed).

I'm less happy you can't get cloth and the HUD, in combination, in the USA models. One of several limits (such as the color restrictions) that disappoint.

And finally, it is disappointing they will not be available for delivery until June. Nor any available for test drives until that point.

Regards
Very nice pictures!!!I have visited the Brussels motor show on Tuesday.
The biggest surprice of the day was that we have been able to see the 4 serie gran coupé behind closed doors.Have you also seen the 4 serie gran coupé?
Appreciate 0