02-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #45
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Agreed - Porsche 911 GT2 as another example... Can't image that car would perform as well with a NA I6... (not knocking NA I6 configuration - just agreeing that turbocharging in and of itself cannot be categorically viewed as negative thing)...
My issue with turbos isn't that of performance. Frankly, turbos can produce monsters in examples like the 911 Turbo, 911 Turbo S, 911 GT2 RS, Nissan GT-R, F10 M5, etc.

My issue is that turbos are just another in a long line of technologies that serve to interfere with the connection that the driver has with the car and the road. I worry that car manufacturers have long since forgotten that it takes a lot more than 0-60 times to excite a driver. A turbo engine simply does not communicate as much information to the driver as an NA engine does. They tend to sound muddled, they don't rev or react as quickly as their NA counterparts, nor do they send as much vibrations through the cabin. Can they produce power? Absolutely. Can they do so efficiently? You bet. Are they easy to juice for further power? Undoubtedly. Will they ever come close to sounding like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=c7XutwrMaf0

Never.

Car manufacturers continue to load up their cars with things that take away from the enjoyment of driving. I salute Subaru and Toyota for making the GT-86. It's not the fastest car in the world, but I bet you it's significantly more fun to drive than almost anything below $100,000.

BMW and the M division built their reputations on this philosophy, and they seem to be moving away from it with every successive car that they release.

Sadness.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0