antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
This is beyond ridiculous. The entire BMW line will now consist of the N52 engine, the N55 (which is pretty much N54 from 6 years ago with a minor turbo modification), and the S63 engine, and that's it. All the 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 series will use a combination of these 3 engines. What happened to those days of actually DESIGNING special engines for the cars?

BMW, you are getting lazy and you should not take your reputation for granted or you will pay the price. Your PR rep guy (Scott or whoever is leaking the info) is doing an absolutely horrible job at saying things like "it's a heavily reworked version of N55" engine, which is THE engine M3 owners simply HATE as it takes a $500 tune to make it go faster than the S65 straight line. I mean come on, really? Can Germans not think at all? At least say "a brand new inline 6 with a unique turbo design", that at least gives the M3 the "uniqueness" aspect of things which so far it has always kept for every production cycle. This car is the only car where M3 is REUSING core things like engine or steering from the PREVIOUS (yes that's right, it's not like they redesigned N55 for F30) generation.

The most important thing when it comes to the success of consumer products in any category is PERCEPTION. It's very simple. You say its a reworked N55 engine, people will think it IS the N55 engine. You say its an entirely new 6 cylinder even though you stole the design of N55, who will care? Will someone hire a private investigator and prove you wrong? You never ever make people not feel special for owning an M3. That's the key thing.

I really am not one of those people who has said "oh let me get my hands on to this amazing last NA V8 BMW made before it sold out", I adapt and I like change, but these are changes in the WRONG direction.

There is something seriously wrong with the higher management in BMW, probably some Hans who only cares about maximum profit is making the calls without worrying about the meaning of the brand.

And I have one more thing to add. Whoever is the admin to this site is or whoever maintains the m3post <-> BMW relationships (Scott?) please make sure this is a two way street, as in, whatever info comes out is fine, but make sure our feedback is also heard.

Thanks.
While I agree with the novelty of a dedicated M engine, it is not economical to do so. And honestly even the majority of M buyers, will not even care about the letters (N55, N54 etc) of their engine they buy! This web community are the rare enthusiasts, a small portion of end buyers. The average M customer wont even ask this upon purchase the engine serial number, and the dealer is not going to get that technical. The majority of buyers care about HP, exterior and interior looks, and the test drive
Appreciate 0