Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
I agree he likes the car, no doubt about that. But if you had read the review and then the segment from the BBC radio, would you think they were written by the same guy. Again, I have bought one, I didnt come here to knock my own car. But reading the two back to back just doesnt add up.

I would say overall I am not a fan of Clarkson. His style is so obvious (bash, then pivot) and his hatred of all things USA got old a decade ago. But consistency is something we all want in our car reviewers (ie Harris) and Clarkson is all over the place.
The "segment" was from TG magazine (I was the original poster of that image).

....and, yes, I would believe they are written by the same guy.

His complaints about the M4 are minor (color, mirrors, DCT issues). But his conclusion in the TG editorial is this:

Quote:
In short, I like cars but only if they are brilliant and new and reliable and comfortable and I can plug my iPod into the sound system and listen to Who's Next. There are very, very few which meet all of my requirements but...well, let me put it this way, for my next birthday, I think i'd be very happy with a BMW M4.
....which sounds a lot like his review of the M4 in addition to his saying "oh by the way, it drives brilliantly too".

He is also, BTW, well aware of the comments his colleagues at TG Mag made on the M4 in the 'speed week' issue, which he referenced the week prior in his Times review of an Outlander:

Quote:
ACCORDING TO my colleagues on Top Gear, the new BMW M3 is a tiny bit of a letdown. They say its turbocharged engine doesn’t have the rev-hungry zing of its predecessors and that while it’s still fast and grippy, it all feels a bit studied and neutered and safe.
http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...er-phev-gx4hs/

....and it is clear from his own review, he does not necessarily share that view.

In short, he isn't gonna be a major fanboi 'OMG this car is like soooooo great I just peed myself'. He really dislikes the things he dislikes. But he likes the car, he likes driving it and, it would seem, it hits all of his buttons, no matter what the guys who write for the Mag say.

In short: you have skin in the game, but don't worry so much, man. If the styling doesn't offend you, you have little to worry about from his review.
Appreciate 0