01-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #61
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
Did you pull the trigger on winters? If you absolutely don't have to drive and can get around in bad weather it may not be worth $3000, but you would have to drive slow and carefully because the summer rubber is gonna be like plastic on cold roads, even if it dry.

I drive a lot and have to drive every day, I went with a set of Blizzak LM32 and so far so good. I had the LM60 on my E90 and it was a beast in the snow. If you are going to do any kind of driving in snow I would absolutely get winters, all I takes is one instance where you understeer or can't brake in time and the damage is going to be a lot worse than the cost of winters.

There a couple sets of stock 18s on here, pick up a set of those and some winters and call it a day, it'll be cheaper than going through BMW. I go to discount tire and they store my other set and do the swap for a hundred bucks. The stock 18s are a real nice wheel and I am happy running those from November to March, I'm not a big fan of the other brands most places sell (i.e. Rial, TSW, etc). I figure we run them for half the year, might as well make them look good.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input.

As a matter of fact I did get the OEM set installed a week ago and I am very happy with the purchase. The Connti TS830Ps are great tires for Chicago and my driving style. I didn't really need insanely great snow tires but winter performance tires since I will usually drive on dry or only slightly wet pavement. The OEM 640M wheels look fine to IMO.

I had to drive back from Detroit last weekend through about 2 hours of snow on I-94 and the tires held up great (no slipping / very confident). I also had to break quickly a few times in the city due to some asshat cabs / texters stopping abruptly. So, already I feel the tires are worth the investment.

At the end of the day, too, the winters extend my summer tires for me anyways.
Appreciate 0