03-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #230
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
The 3.3l makes no sense what so ever. Take the notion that DTM (BWM will have no other forward moving real racing projects going on) is based on a 4.0 l V8, all of BMW'\ Group's production engines are going to a .5l per cylinder configuration why on earth would M go against every thing and create something as silly as a 3.3 liter? They could just tweak the head, plumbing and boost to give them the hp the .3l would give them.

Many have heard that they are basing it on the N55 and that makes sense- they could even use the pistons, rods, rings etc from the DTM car if they wanted- the turbo system from the diesel and write software with little development costs. I have even heard that they have beefed up the lower end with reinforcement in the block as a bolt on so they did not need to cast something different.

Reports also indicate that the board said "no" to the V6 secondary to economies of scale and cost constraints. Let's be honest- If M was going to build a motor from the ground up and charge for it, it would have been in the M5 and M6 but they re-engineered. On that note- the new "halo" M the M 6GC will use a reengineered motor as well- how does that make sense? The M3 goes bespoke but the halo doesn't? The M3 until the beautiful V8 was always repackaged and reengineered, this is no different. BMW is most likely not going to participate with the M3 in racing (outside DTM) for sometime after this year so they have no homolgation issues..

I don't buy to 3.3 or V6 and my sources aren't telling me that. Is there a LOT of misinformation going on? Yes. Will this car debut in "concept" form sooner than later -YES. That is for certain.

You can also expect a recycled M5/M6 rear (they are reusing development like they did with the 1M). This will come to market in the EU first as BMWNA does not want to kill the brisk sales of the E92M3 but there will be a farewell tribute to come in a special edition- no you are not getting CRT seats

Take all the engine garble with a grain of salt right now... there is another M product coming before this and several M Performance models so the info is being spilled in this manner to increase interest and promote dialog/confusion. I trust what I hear from certain people and I try to express what I hear as best I can without stepping on toes....

Way back machine M5 style 3/3/11 - I state 560 hp (although I hinted for a while) I am NOT trying to promote anything so don't Terms of Use ME.... I am just trying to establish some sources.

Official info came a month later on 4/4- car was shown at M Fest and a few other venues before the "official" launch.

I trust who feeds me info (most of the time) and they are not corroborating the V6 3.3l at this time. Can that change- sure but I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
In trying to distinguish the back and forth from sites like Bimmerpost , German Car forum etc. Some are right on the nose of what it will portray in terms of layout and specification. Some I have to say are way off position.
But this form of debate is very advantageous for BMW and especially in the realm of social media in the automotive world.

In regards to news , blogs and media you find a BMW story and in this case the F80 story as the headline above headlines which is beneficial for BMW in their strategy to market the end product.
I know some enthusiasts might find it a form of torture to keep you on edge but there is still sometime to go and as you can see the end result has not even finished testing.

We are still considerably around a year from official reveal. But you will not be forever hanging on a thread. Some points of information will be revealed , some you wont like and some you will as the jigsaw comes together piece by piece to determine BMW's reason for this logic. But do not expect to learn everything at once, regarding the key salient points at this point in time.

There are new cars coming for both M and M Performance Automobiles.
With scheduled live broadcasts for NYIAS (BMW M6 Cabrio) , Auto China 2012 in Beijing and the M Festival to keep you in the loop.
Thanks mapezzul and SCOTT,

I really appreciate the info you feed us and understand you must be feed it slowly and cryptically.