General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post

Swamp,

For years you have heralded the mighty horsepowaah!
But (once again) you prove you do not understand the importance of torque. I am almost certain you cannot abstractly read a dynograph/chart.. as the rate of acceleration in any vehicle, is directly tied to it's tq curve.

Fact^..
You cannot keep dismissing that & constantly remain ignorant of that fact. HP is only a static figure, it alone represent nothing!

Coincidentally, you have been embattled in this argument for 5+ years..(!!) & to constantly keep dismissing torque? Or to say it's nearly meaningless? Torque accounts for more of a cars characteristics, than horspepower does. It is the engine's ability to move mass (laymanistically). I know u can read a book, but HP is derived as a static figure of the actual work done at that moment... not about the ability to move that mass.. (ie: accelerate)

I know you keep your head into your sim software, but until you buy some premium stuff, that accounts for an artifical linear torque curve, then all u have is ur math, but no understanding. Do not dismiss the massive delta in available torque between the 1M & M3.

Around town (small tracks/streets), the 1M simply ownz the M3.!! Ironically, that is what is purpose is, the 1M's focus is handling. But there is a stark constrast in power delivery & performance between the 2. That is.. with 120hp difference.. it is only after 100mph (ubertracks/F1/nurb), that the long winded M3 get it's chance to outshine it's moAr focused sibling.

The deltas in the dynocharts tell the whole story, you can clearly see how much more grunt (ie: acceleration) is available just off idle on the N54, over the s65... lets not forget that the N54 is 1 liter smaller. If u don't understand any of this.. than compare the s54 (E46 M3) to the n54 (1M Coupe) and wrap ur head around torque please!

I shop torque, it tells much moAr of the story than any other engine statistic. Matter of fact, I am buying an M2 and I do not care what the HP figure is, as long as it close to 360ft-lbs of torque..!

MAX HORSPOWAAAHHH!! is marketing
I am sorry my friend, but your post is badly misinformed.

Looking at "static" published numbers, peak horsepower is much more telling of a car's ultimate performance than peak torque.

I've had interesting phylosophical debates with Swamp , but he is bang on in terms of the importance of power over performance.
Appreciate 0