10-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #426
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Aren't you being a bit presumptuous? You are the authority for BMW M?
No, my preferences just happen to align with prior BMW M engine philosophy. Well, "just happen" might be a oversimplification, but I was simply noting that they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
So why do engines have multiple turbo chargers?
Perhaps I can answer with an option that we can all choose from.

1. Because both BMW Marketing (many of whom drive or race competitively and have engineering backgrounds) AND BWM M Engineering are solving a non existent problem based on a misunderstanding of jargon (lag vs. boost threshold). In solving this non existent problem they are wasting 10's of millions of dollars or R&D and production costs on much more complex engines, with more parts and greater potential maintenance and warranty concerns.
2. Such and arrangement produces an engine with real and different characteristics which have advantages both from a feel perspective and when driving aggressively on a road type course. Similarly because customers have spoken with their pocketbooks and desire an engine that has the feel and performance character of an NA engine.

In short #1 is your contention and #2 is mine.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 10-02-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0