bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleBanger View Post
I dunno it kinda seems like it. This new M3 is just like all the other new stock turbo 6 cylinder cars - relies solely on the turbos & gotta make the car as light as humanly possible (money that used to be spent on bigger engine is now spent on weight reduction strategies) cause at the end of the day the 6 cylinder engine really ain't all that powerful. Been there done that before, V8 is better. It's a 4.0L V8 vs. twin turbo 3.0L i6, the two engines aren't even in the same category. Drop the turbos from the inline 6, you got nothing. Add the turbos to the V8, you got a freakshow.
I love the S65 in my M3, but dude, seriously, get some perspective. I cannot think of a more lame method of comparison than saying "drop the turbos from this, add some turbos to that, and BINGO BANGO, we have a winner!" That makes no sense at all.

The S55 was designed from the outset to be a turbocharged engine. Turbocharging is a very advanced method of delivering more power from smaller displacement. People who think that it's just a matter of slapping a turbo on to any old motor have never attempted such a feat. In my younger, more naive days, I tried my hand at turbocharging a friend's Honda Civic. Yeah, laugh it up, but until you've tried the same, you can give it a rest. I've rebuilt more than one engine by hand. I've tuned tons of carbureted engines. I've even rebuilt my own transmission (something I never recommend, btw), and turbocharging that little B16 put me over the edge. We simply didn't have the equipment and the know-how to get the job done. Building a responsive turbocharged engine takes a lot of engineering.

Do me a favor and name three reputable turbo kits for the S65. We'll all wait.

Turbocharging isn't "easy horsepower" like everyone makes it out to be. The S55 is an engineering feat in its own right. No, it doesn't sound like the S65, and you're right that the engines aren't in the same league. The S55 is more powerful at every RPM than the S65, often by a very wide margin.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0