View Single Post
      04-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Oh, and for the record, I don't think there is much rationale for a twin electric turbo setup to begin with. To me that would be somewhat like using twin superchargers. Why do it when you can just have one larger one? It's not like their are spooling issues to be concerned with.

Edit: I should add that another possibility is standard turbos with electric assist. In this case you have an electric motor drive the turbine at low engine RPM. This would probably make most sense from a materials perspective because it means you are not adding additional turbines and intake routing just for the electric component of the system. I suppose it is remotely possible they could use one such turbo like this along with another conventional one with no assist, in a sequential setup. But that seems unlikely. I would figure two assisted turbos of this type, if any. Anyway, the point is that possibilities like this obscure the issue, suggesting your original hypothesis does not really cover the problem space.
Appreciate 0