03-22-2024, 08:50 AM   #25
tgb1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
If it’s making noise when you’re not applying the brakes then that would likely point to something other than the brakes being the cause of the noise. Is this sound there at all speeds (interstates, highways, main roads, side streets, etc.) or only when slowing down? It might not be as loud/noticeable on highways because there are other louder noise sources so the tire/brake noise isn’t as noticeable. Try driving with the windows down for 20-30 min on different types of roads and speeds. If the sound is always there without brake use, I’d agree with the foreman - it’s the winter tires. We put winter tires on almost all of our cars and the first thing we notice is the significant increase in tire rumbling-humming sounds. Even brand new winter tires are much noisier than a well worn set of performance tires. The only check I can think of is to remove your winter setup, reinstall your summer setup and go for a drive over the same roads. Noise gone = winter tire setup. If the noise is not gone, then it could be the brakes, wheel bearing(s), etc. I expect the noise to go away (or be faint if the summer setup is well worn with feathering on outer and inner tread blocks). Winter tires, especially Snow and Ice versions, are louder than summer tires
I really appreciate this thorough response. I will of course see what happens when I switch to summer tires and report back. However, I am beginning to think that there is a wheel bearing or brake issue as well. The reason I say that is because I can feel it in the brake pedal when pressing it down to break, particularly at very slow speeds. There’s a certain resistance, like something is dragging or rubbing against the wheel. Never felt it before I had the brake jobs done.

But then again the brake performance is awesome, so maybe I should just ignore it?
2016 BMW F83 ///M4 Tanzanite Blue Metallic/Silverstone Full Merino // NBTevo ID 6 retrofit // G3x/F90 10.25" MGU display retrofit // GTS flash // SmartTOP // 437M + Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter) // 359M + ContiSportContact 5P (summer)
Retired: 2013 E93 M3 | 2015 F22 M235i xDrive | 2012 E70 X5 xDrive 35d | 2010 E90 328i xDrive
Appreciate 0