jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Agreed. So these are the facts as we have them:

That the CCB with track use will not last the life of the car and will result in a higher overall expense.

However, CCB with street use will last the life of the car. Steel rotors with performance pads with street use will approach the cost of CCB over the course of their life, assuming 6years+ (whether someone would use performance pads for street use is a different story).

Steel rotors and regular pads will, over 6 years, defray some of the cost of the CCB expenditure. Again, we can argue about how much of that cost is defrayed, but it is a fact.

Again, how many M5/6 CCB users have had this happen? None that I know of. While a fact, it's also a fact that people die on the highway from incidents that aren't their fault, yet this highly unlikely occurrence is not enough to make me cower at home under my mattress my entire life. Same with the theoretical chip off the CCB rotors.
Again, you're assuming that people will run performance pads with their steel brakes on the road, and that's just not a fair assumption. The interview clearly indicates that they would be annoying and wasteful to run in that setting, just as any race pads are.

Using M5/6 prices again, if we assume that steel rotors last 50K under street-only driving (not unreasonable, and the rears probably last longer) and that replacing all four steel rotors would cost $2K (probably costs less since rears are smaller), then in order to break even on the $8K CCB option, you'd need to drive the car 250K miles (original factory set plus paying for four new sets of rotors). If the CCB rotors last THAT long (pretty unlikely), then yes I suppose if you will drive your car 250K miles, you can finally say that you broke even. But you'd be waiting a lot longer than 6 years.

As for the rotor chipping, I expect few have had that happen because few M5/6 owners go to the track. But on an M3 where lots of people who track them also have a dedicated set of wheels and tires for the track, it becomes much more likely. But that's also moot because as I just said, the value proposition just isn't there even if that never happens to the owner.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-13-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0