View Single Post
      01-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #14
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
And that's the beauty of a high reving true //M engine with a high red line that just keeps pulling up until just before redline.

+10

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
This doesn't really make sense to me. It seems like German cars (and sporty cars in general) are trending toward being easy to drive fast. That seems to be something that Porsche especially prides itself on these days, and I think it's a mark of a good car. That's something the E9x M3 was really known for, is being easy and confidence inspiring to drive fast. I would think they'd try to aim for the same thing again. If they haven't achieved it, that's disappointing.
BUT it could also make much sence !!!

Until now the credo of the M-GmbH was driveability is more important to be easy fast on track than an high low end torque, because with an linear power output up until the redline itīs easier to drive (fast) on track because you never has more power on the wheels as the car could bring on the track/road ... important in the fastest DSC-off mode, which you need to reach the fastest times !

With the new M3/M4 the change their philosophy totally to more high low end torque as reason to make the car fast(er) ... so it could clearly be the case that on track (DSC off!) you must control the torque getting to the reat wheel to reach the fastest track times ... therefor you nead some experience in driving cars on track ... much more than with the older concept !?

Its also the simple reason, because the old E9xM3 was most of the time faster on track than cars like the C63 AMG with much more hp and torque.
Appreciate 0