06-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #44
Hoosiers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
You are right, according to sources from an german M-Forum where also some M-GmbH technics are posting, the new M3/M4 engine would be an little bit heavier that the previous S65 V8 ... this also in terms of an S55 based on the N54 with 3.0ltr. as it was common conviction here in this forum.

But there are strange rumors that the new M3/M4 engine would get more than 3.0ltr. probably as much as 3.3ltr. (3.296ccm) as I posted in my closed thread, which for me cries V6 based on the S63Tü, but an member with ties to the M-GmbH told me, that it would be nevertheless an I6 (third source for 3.3ltr.).
As I asked him how 3.3ltr., HDZ and Highpressure-Turbos could work together in an I6 based on an N54/55-Block, because of the very high needed stroke of > 99mm, which is needed to reach 3.3ltr. out of an N54/55, as it is impossible to make the bore greater than 84mm in an N54/55 block ... he tolds me that the M3/M4 engine would probably be basesd on an greater and stronger engineblock older than the N54/55 (S54?) ... I do not know what is in this rumor on it, but it would be for me - due to the lower stroke - the only possible way to imagine an 3.3ltr.I6 Triturbo with 7.800rpm redline in the new M3/M4. But an possible S54-block meens that the new engine would be clearly much heavier than the famous S65.

Nevertheless, regardless of the weight of the new engine the whole M3 will be significantly lighter than its predecessor or the F30 335i ... the EU-weight of 1483kg = ~3270lbs be called from multiple sources as the current state of affairs.
Probably this time the F80M3 sedan will be even lighter than the F82M4 coupe , because a key weightsaving measure are the lightweight aluminum doors and at 4 doors, the potential savings are just greater.

Greets Uli_HH
So the the car will be nose heavy, great. A heavier engine with lighter doors and trunk creating a lighter rear-end. Wow, this car is going along the lines of the current F30 and M5 failure. You want the weight reduction in the nose if you had to pick. We already know the car is BIGGER dimensionally than the current M3, now it looks like the front end will be heavier as well. That's just great for turns, who cares how light the doors are.
Appreciate 0