04-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #32
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
In very positive thinking ... an engine based on the N55 Block could also be an 3.0ltr.V6 like the InsideLine rumors ... cut the block in half or better delete 3 of the inside cylinders you got 2 I3 (like the i8 engine!? ) ... put them on an 90° crankcase (you need in any kind an new stronger crankcase also for an I6!), mount it with the exhaust side to the inside ... and you get an 3.0ltr.V6 with the turbosystem of the M5 which have nothing to do with the S63Tü, but be based on the N55 and with the possibility of many common parts.

Greets Uli_HH
The i8 uses a different engine family. The follow up to the N55 is in the same family as the i8 3 cylinder (hint).

Look at the N54 lifecycle- look at the N55 life cycle- When is the F80 debuting and how long will it be around? Will the N55 be the basis? Or will BMW debut a new engine layout in the F80 which will preclude the series production vehicle (They just did this with the 63tü).

Food for your thoughts... and remember how much power BMWi is getting out of that i8 3 cylinder (then double it).