View Single Post
      02-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #71
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Then what is the point? If it's so trivial to you then don't pay for it. Different people have different opinions and if it matters to you enough to pay for it, that's your prerogative. That's why it's call "Individual" i.e., unique. If it were cheaper then it wouldn't be individually unique and they should call it by another name.

As for pricing, my understanding is that the assembly process the more colors you have the more costly since each color is a separately line. If it's a unique color then you have to stop one of the lines to switch paint that would involve cleansing all the parts that touches paint to rid of the previous paint (or if not cleansing, replacing the part entirely) and then once that's special paint is done, to change it back again. That's a lot of labor and time loss to switch to another paint for one car and the switch back again. Thus more money both in terms of opportunity cost (lost time to change over) and direct cost.

I'm sure there are ways to mitigate these extra costs but nevertheless, I don't think it's as simple as just switching a can of paint. Surely they must make more profit off individual paint and you can argue BMW could've made better choices of their standard paint colors and BMW can be shady in many areas but I'm not seeing any shady practice in regards to paint at all.
Im not arguing from an emotional standpoint like you. This topic to me is as important as arguing whether or not pinapple should be on pizza. This topic doesnt shake my soul. That said, for BMW to create fake scarcity and sell it for $5,000 is mildly amusing because I know the game. In another thread, it was reported that nearly 70,000 M3/4s, if im not mistaken, have been sold to date! There is no complicated process to change the painting process of a common 3/4 series. This is not a Pagani. Sorry.
Appreciate 0