10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #409
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
They absolutely are, it is marketing that pulls the strings, marketing are suits and ties, not engineers....and they listen to suits and ties that buy M5's, M3's etc.
Marketing absolutely does not decide which technical approach will be implemented or how a particular approach will be used to reach a top level product design goal. Engine engineers and designers are far far too clever and knowledgeable to be swayed by poor use of jargon by end users. Brand new engines are again $100M or hundereds of millions of dollars. Folks don't screw around with poor jargon or a misunderstanding of a very fine technical details with this kind of money at a company of this size.

Quote:
Wrong, take a gander at Subaru (Sti vs NA 2.5), Mitsubishi (EVO engine vs. NA shit box variety), Toyata Supra (2JZ vs. NA version), Nissan R32-R34 GTR (RB26 vs. RB25 NA), need I go on, all the above examples are turbo charged versions of a same displacement NA engine. ALL of these have the same OR HIGHER rev limits. Note that they are all Japanese!!! Yep the Japs accept the shortcomings of boost threshold but love the turbo hit.
But they appear in significantly different end products right?

Quote:
I won't even argue this, it is a fact. It was well publicised by many of the manufacturers (and there are many) that dropped I6 for shorter V engines.
Don't state as fact if you won't discuss. I'd love to see the proof, not some BS gossip from a magazine...

Quote:
I so want you to answer this as you claim BMW are cheaping out going I6.
All I am saying is that an I6 is inherently less expensive than a similar V8. I have also shown how simple economy of scale makes high volume parts and systems less expensive than low volume ones. In this case, for BMW M, the I6 is the least expensive option, mostly due to economy of scale. I would also bet that at the same volume an I6 would be less expensive than a V6. There are other advantages of a V6 in terms of compactness that for some purposes may make that a necessity. The I6 physically may not fit.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0