Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Manual vs. DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Maybe stated a better way...

What if two M4 models were offered a MT car with (stated) 430 hp and a DCT version with a (stated) 460 hp (of course for the DCT car we would have to detune it's shift programs so that shifts took more like 0.3 - 0.4 seconds because if we didn't then we'd get double the benefit).

Which would you choose?

This really is the choice you are making. I like to feel "in control", "in touch", "involved", etc. absolutely costs you a significant amount of real effective power. I guess I already know the answer from the MT purists. That of course begs the question of how much would the delta (difference) have to be, 50 hp, 75 hp, no amount of power?

The example is a bit unrealistic as well because M-DCT is not a free option.
Quickness is a small part of the equation to me. Though I drive spiritedly, I don't race and seldom worry about a couple tenths to 60 or 100. Part of it is undoubtedly that I've been driving manuals for nearly 50 years, except for my SUVs. The extra driver involvement and choice you have with a manual is worth it for me. Want to give the throttle a little blip? You just slip in the clutch and do it. Want to feather the throttle or smoothly slip in and out of gear in traffic? It's easy. The DCT is, however, undoubtedly superior for most performance applications. The manual is harder, but when you get it right it's very satisfying rather than just saying the computer did it.

Nice to have a choice. Oh, and the 50 or so less pounds, less complexity and $3k or so savings is icing with the manual. Just MO, and I won't say anything negative about those who feel differently.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0