04-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
Not sure about the "best built"part.

Having owned a few recent 911s, my current 2012 M3 is it's equal (or superior) in build. Take a look at the M3 suspension and subframes relative to the 911. I would actually say the M3's are nicer. Fully forged and boxed. The 911 doesn't even have rear fender liners for chrissakes! 8 throttle bodies on a hand built engine Vs. a single plastic throttle body on the 911. Which one costs more? I can't even think of a part on my 911 that would stand out against any car in it's class. But what they do with all of those chintzy mass-produced parts is what is amazing...

The engineering that porsche displays is the awesome part though.....Yes, the 991S is perfect. It sickens me how amazing it is. I could not find any nits to pick on road or track. Maybe the high shifter might have bothered me a bit. But that is more my problem than the car's.

Porsche also has a whole other concept on pricing that is not related to quality or engineering. A CF roof on a porsche would be a $20,000 option. I mean, even the M steering wheel would be a $1K upgrade (deviated stitching-$600/Thicker rim-$250/muti-function-$450)....Even the GTI has a nice wheel than porsche. you want a porsche symbol on you wheels...cough up another $250. Floor mats, forget it. Power seats? Nope.

You want to see well-built? Look at some bare-frame schematics of an R8. And it costs less than a C4S. It brings tears to my eyes to watch them hand-build an R8......

Great points made, especially about the R8. It would be difficult for me to choose a 991 C4S over an R8 because of what you said AND lets not forget it is a proper mid engined super car with a V8!
Appreciate 0