View Single Post
      05-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
seanwillnotreturn
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna_hp View Post
It's really not a big deal. I wish more enthusiasts were in uproar over the rumors of a V6 engine because regardless of whatever bullshit BMW might come up with to legitimize it, it is mechanically impossible for a V6 to be as smooth as an I6, much less the 90* V6 that is rumored whose angle won't even cancel out a lot of the vibrations that a 60* V6 would.
Agree on most of your comments except the one above.

I assume "smooth" is not exactly what we are expecting out of next gen, or it's not the most important thing for NA fans. i believe it's more about what it feels like to push rev up to close to 9k.

anti-V6 or anti-6 may be the biggest headache of the M maker, but i kind of understand what they concern about. I have a feeling M3 is not capable of handling big displacement engine, already seeing tyres spinning with 414hp and 400NM.

Look at Audi RS way, old 4.2L NA engine remapped to 450hp and it's done. M3 can follow---making existing stroked 4.4L M3 GTS engine some 460hp to wet everyone here and there. Isnt it just easy?

And we look at whole picture, m5m6x5mx6m 4.4 turbo, m3 4.4NA, terrific. Why wont BMW make it this way? i guess they figure 4.4NA is in fact not as good as we think. M3 GTS is good cuz of the combination of a couple of upgrade---- lightweight parts, suspension, tyre and already perfect M3 prototype, 4.4 stroke engine doesnt play the most important part.

a V6 turbo engine (not I6, ask engine experts you know I6 just cannot delivery as much as V6) can easily beat V8 NA in every aspects if we're not fans of high rev sound. We see how GTR, 911ts humiliate flashy Ferrari regarding engine performance.

M3 is already weak in drag race, maybe it's time to reverse the situation with a turbo.
Appreciate 0