12-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #89
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
The 1m with all the torque is ideal for 6mt, as the new m3/m4 will be. A 1m,m3, or m4 would be a waste with Dct.
As pointed out above this is not a justified nor even correct position.

The primary performance (not even counting convenience nor safety) advantage from a DCT type transmission is the much reduced shift times. Those shift times savings are entirely a separate topic as to the engines power/torque characteristics. As posted prior, it is these shift time savings that are equivalent to having significantly more power.

Now you might attempt to argue that one can shift less with a high torque engine, which is generally true, thus why bother automating the shifts. I see no merit to that argument though again primarily due to the point I made just above. I suppose you could argue that you would be shifting so much less that the cost of the DCT on a "per shift" basis isn't justified. If that is your point it has some very small merit but is an incredibly odd way to make a decision on a transmission.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0