06-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #57
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
So I'm looking at a U.S. spec M3 (sedan) with a mostly empty fuel tank and probably an option free weight south of 3400 pounds.

That's just my guess, but that's pretty nice.
Since you are obviously concerned with weight, and it sounds like the performance implications thereof, I ran a quick simulation for you.

In short, a loaded car with DCT significantly outperforms a stripper with MT (regardless of and small savings from CSiC brakes).

Let's say the difference is 217 lb even (not counting brakes) putting the lighter car with 90% fuel at 3400 lb even. Here are the results. The weight of M3 #2 on the right with M-DCT is exactly as posted here from the earlier post showing the scale weight, but adding fuel weight to get to 90% filled and including a 165 lb driver. The other, car #1 on the left is 217 lb lighter with MT. I am using 50 ms shift times for M-DCT and 300 ms shift time for the MT.

It is a significant besting, 0.7 seconds to 100, 0.2 and 2 mph for the 1/4 and 0.6 from 60-130. I realize this won't convince you to purchase the M-DCT, but she WILL be faster, period.

Note: Ignore the "M-DCT" and conflicting "MT" titles on car #1. It is 3400 lb with 90% fuel, without driver and has the correct shift times and transmission ratios for the MT car.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 06-27-2014 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0