01-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
NO ... I think an TriTurbo engine for the new F8x M3/M4 is very unlikely ... the TriTurbo-concept is for the M Performence petrol M.50d models only. Posts in the net of an TriTurbo-System with an third elektric driven Turbo are an misunderstanding of the BMW patented "eTurbo-System", were conventional turbos were driven by an E-Motor by low rpm to avoid lag.

According to my infos the new F8x gets an N55 based "S55" with probably 2 turbos (or 4!?) ... depends on how you define the TwinScroll-Turbosystem.
Recently a reliable source told me that it would be inline 6, V6 was shot down by the board and would use three turbos for the F80.

Now I will openly say that this could in fact mean a small E-charger and a dual scroll turbo effectively making 2 housings with 3 scrolls. My German is so so on these things and the source's English tends to be a bit "off" when it comes to these things.... I also recall being briefed on the X6 ///M when it came out and the engineer I was talking with told me it had 4 turbos- it has four scrolls with 2 dual scroll turbos.

One thing is for sure is that it seems like it will be N55 based now. The source also said 450 HP is the target as BMW is not hell bent on HP and wants efficiency and performance, the M5 could have been over 600hp if they wanted too as an example. 450-460hp would also keep the 100ish hp gap between the M5/M6 for marketing purposes as well as keep reliability up. The F80 has a much better chassis and it is lighter than the former E90 so it will need less HP to go faster.

-M