View Single Post
      07-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #109
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

swamp, the G35/G37 actually were/are sold as Skylines in Japan. Indeed, the G37 as sold in the US is actually just a rebadged V35 Skyline. A quick Google search will show plenty of details about this if you are curious. This is exactly analogous to Toyota selling the Altezza as a (last generation) Lexus IS300 in the US. Other similar examples exist within Nissan/Infiniti and Toyota/Lexus model lineups. These companies built their luxury brands in the US (and elsewhere) largely on JDM models originally sold under the non-luxury parent brand.

What I am getting at here is that neither rebadge job will really be particularly more or less legitimate than the other. The Infiniti one "works" because of the regional marketing differences. The BMW one "works" for historic reasons. I put "works" in quotes because it is a matter of individual opinion whether rebadging like this is acceptable or not. I don't wish to comment or take sides on that at this juncture, not least because I don't want to pull the discussion off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
That analogy is really quite poor. The M3 and M3 will be more or less the same as the E90 and E92 M3's are today. That level of similarity is absolutely not present in a G35 and any Skyline.
Appreciate 0