03-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #121
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnash View Post
Damn right I wont consider it! Ive dreamed of owning an "M3 coupe" all my life even though there are better cars out there in my budgeted price bracket. So yes, I want the M3 partly because of the performance, but also because it is a part of automotive history. My plan is to keep the M3 as a hobby car long-term and change my second car every few years, so yeah the car I want to keep long term has to have some historic significance behind it and the M4 just wont. I frankly dont care about what other car guys or non-car guys think about my car...but "I" wouldnt think much of a BMW M4 compared to an M3 and that does matter.
I couldnīt hear this M3 sedan bashing any more ... accept that the new M Coupe based on the F82 would be named M4. The moniker "M4" doesnīt make the car less sportier as it is.

There is nothing wrong if the F80 M3 sedan is the only M3 model ... and its only "Back to the roots" as the very frist M3 based on the E30 was also quoted by BMW as "2-door-sedan" and never as coupe!
The first M3-Coupe was the E36 Coupe but there was also an M3-Sedan in the E36 Range. Only with the E46 there was no M3-Sedan.

Its simple BS to define the iconic "M3" only on his badge ... that fanboy "bla-bla" for those who never could afford an new M3 and put M3 badges on their regular e36/46/92 coupes ... the iconic "M3" is only defined on performence and on nothing else ... if the car has an outstanding performence on track and on street than it is worth to be named as "M3". And in the currend generation the E90 M3 is as fast as (if not a very little bit faster as!) the E92 M3 ... so the E90 M3 is 110% worth to wear the M3 Badge. This is not only my opinion ... no, thats the only truth and there could the M3=Coupe Fanboy Fraction saying what they want. If in the E9x M3 range there is an car that probably (not my opinion!) is not really worth to wear the M3 Badge than its the E93 convertible because it lacks the performence of the two others - because of its weight, but nobody of the fanboy would says this, because the convertible is an real good fanboy poser.

So if the new M3 is the F80 sedan and the F82 coupe is upgraded to the Moniker M4 nothing is going wrong ... the myth M3 lives on in an car that is more than 110% worth to wear this Badge as only model, because this would have an such outstanding performence (so much better than all old M3s!) that it would be the "best M3 ever". And all who like the Coupe more, could buy the same car as M4.

Greets Uli_HH
Appreciate 0