View Single Post
      04-05-2024, 05:59 PM   #17
Vmohan5072
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Apologies if that came off the wrong way and for putting my thoughts on your reply instead as a general comment on the thread. Started off just agreeing with your statement of people coding the cars and vouching for the effectiveness of the coding myself, but then went off on a tangent that should have just been a general comment instead of throwing it onto you haha.

In the end buying a zcp car will be much easier, but if he ends up with a base car for whatever reason, I suggested that stuff in the previous comment as a very cost effective and reversible way to improve the base feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’m unaware of any threads that discuss in technical detail, not speculation, the actual differences in base dampers and zcp/cs dampers (mechanical or electromechanical).
Racer20 had a thread of the damper curves on a damper dyno between the base and zcp dampers right here. There is a an improvement overall, with results attached.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1525983

Quote:
A lot of base owners say they notice an improvement in ride quality when running cs edc coding on their base edc dampers - are they all wrong?
They are not wrong with the ride quality. There's no doubt that CS EDC on base dampers makes the suspension softer and more compliant on the street. But there's absolutely a lot of people on here who do complain about the tradeoffs being too soft and floaty in sport/sport+ from the different dampers, lazier diving, and sloppier bodyroll when pushing the car hard. Going to ZCP dampers and ZCP rear bar (front bar is still base for the CS) and doing the CS EDC changes will give you the same improved softer ride quality in comfort but still have tighter body control and no floaty feeling in sport/sport+. But that's if they want to go through all that process at all, that's up for them to decide if it's worth or not, I probably shouldn't have been firm on the whole "I advise against" thing.

Regardless, he's free to try the CS EDC anyways on base dampers as well as the rest of the CS/GTS coding if he's already doing the rest of the coding, worst comes to worst it can just be undone just as easily as putting it on.

Quote:
Also, converting a base to zcp likely will devalue the car, or at a minimum reduce the number of potential buyers, because they don’t want a piecemeal “zcp”, they want a real zcp.
I agree with trying to piecemeal a ZCP will hurt values. Coding can always be reverted back to stock when ready to sell so that won't be an issue. In the end if he can afford a ZCP then it's best to do it, otherwise this is a worthwhile, cost effective, and reversible thing to try on a base.

Last edited by Vmohan5072; 04-05-2024 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0