TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335
The jounro's are a bit "damned if they do damned if they don't" at the moment with the M3/4.

Everyone wants comparisons but the fundamental problem is that the M4 is the first new-gen car into its segment. Especially regarding its key global competitiion - Audi and Merc.

So they are either comparing it to older products (e.g. RS5), which of course it beats, or cars from difference market segments (911 etc), which of course it tends to lose to.

The meaningful and crucial reviews for most potential buyers will come when the new C63 and Audi XYZ (and some of the other fringe sedan based GT cars, perhaps Jag, Maser etc) come out.

As for the drifting.....all I see when I see these reviewers doing this ad nauseum is a car and tyres being tortured in order to get around a corner slower than you could without said torture. Makes no sense other than as a silly marketing show-boat.
There will never be a perfect comparison but I agree with you. Everyone loves to say the CTS-V is faster than the E60 M5, it was but did it in the E60s latter years, the original CTS-V was pretty average. This is going to happen again, when the new CTS-V arrives, the American fanboys are going to have a field day when it beats the M5 but guess what, the F10 is already past it's LCI and will likely be in it's last years when the CTS-V finally arrives.

It's all about perspective. What is the better buy today, not which is the better car because you will never have the perfect comparo since all Marques have their own product cycle and makes it difficult to accurately judge.
Appreciate 0