View Single Post
      07-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #78
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
i'm coming late to the thread, but reading through it does bring up a question to me ... it's been my assumption that the SOLE reason BMW is making an I6 M3/4 vs a V8 (or larger) is efficiency ... It's in their marketing "efficient dynamics"

They have to cope with compliance (CAFE and such) as well as making a fast car that people want to drive.

If they didn't have to worry about CAFE (and the US *is* the M market) they'd probably have built a V8 or something.

So why all the arguing over V8 vs I6? Answer: CAFE.
do not agree.

current FI technology is allowing cars to make a ton of power and keep the weight / size of the engine down. a benefit to this is better fuel economy.

the s65 would never be able to put down that amount of average power, and would need to be completely redesigned in order to do so. it would also have to have a much larger displacement.

FI has certain drawbacks, as in less character in the sound, and often times not able to rev as high. its also difficult to get the same sharpness in the throttle, but the throttle response in modern well tuned cars (in manual transmission cars, not autos) is very good.

depends what you want out of the car. personally, I like the sound of the s55 and n54 in the 1m, and prefer the performance of the s55 over the v8 sound. ive never had an issue on track with my 997tt's throttle response, and thought that engine was way more fun on track than my s65, but didn't sound as good.
Appreciate 0