Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
I find this thread really interesting in many respects

1.I find it amusing how everyone disgusted by the sounds of TT M3 is all about an S65TT. If you are going to go TT, the s65 loses its benefits as a great engine. Nothing other than a good memory attached to to turbos would this thing offer. I would rather see them build an engine dedicated and formulated for turbos from the beginning. You guys are really getting caught up in nostalgia by wishing a S65TT-which by the way has no chance of happening anyway. One main reason is bmw is going to be unable to reverse flow turbo in the middle of the V and that is the major way they have addressed lag. It just cant happen in this engine.

2.The car will NOT be lighter. No bmw EVER has ever gone lighter in the subsequent generation. It just does not happen unfortunately.

3.Counter to knowing what is going to happen, I do wonder why ferrari can build a more efficient, higher revving 9k rpms V8 and sell it when their entire fleet is a bunch of inefficient engined cars, and bmw cannot do this for just one of their minority sales cars-the m3. They profit much more than ferrari as they sell 100 times more m3's than the ferrari 458 so money is plentiful.

4.You guys have to realize you cannot have anything longer than a 3.2l I6 (and that is pushing it.) The flex in a camshaft (until they make camless engines) is way to great in a engine, let alone a high performance aluminum engine to deal with this. You would have to spin it under 6500 to go any larger than 3.2. The R and D into making this also would be too much for too little utility

5.I am actually thrilled to say I am 99 percent sure its going to be a brand new TT (not tri turbo) V6 derived from the M5/6 engine. That would allow them to obtain exactly the right power at about 475hp (which is where the m3 will be), allow them to use reverse intake turbo design to address the lag/throttle response which m3 owners really look for, and allow the engine to fit into other smaller cars like the x/z cars. It also has room to be tweaked for their race cars in various series as plenty of room for tweaking with a OEM TTv6. Probably easily tweaked to 550hp in a heartbeat.

So in the end the m3 will be 3900 pounds, 475hp, TTV6 with 0-60 in 4s, quarter in 12 flat. 285's rear 265 front 19's.

And there it is folks
so your prediction is that M3 will forever increase weight and HP, purely because this is the history of 3 sequels? I surely hope not, because as nice as 475 HP sounds, 3900 lbs sounds awful. An M3 should be lighter.
Appreciate 0