Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M View Post

In any case, the E92 platform vs. the M4 platform should be the objective comparison. This would demonstrate the progress in evolution of e92 --> F82. How much faster? Don't just take BMW's words... try it yourself.
The only people who want to read those articles (since the outcomes are easy to surmise) are the people still holding onto the previous model, telling themselves that the "bespoke engine" is "the last true M." I don't see why this is somehow more objective than a car that is obviously cross-shopped despite being a few years since introduction. Plus, we've already seen a comparison where the BMW didn't win (vs old C63, Steve Sutcliffe). Guess that's invalid too, because it's old.

The cars people cross-shop with the F80/2 seem to be the RS5, CTS/ATS-V, M5, M235, 911, F-type and C7. These are the comparisons we'll read.
You are referring to a stigma against a feature of the car, the engine.

I have nothing against the turbo. In fact, I have been all for having as many cars and updates as possible. I have owned 4 BMW in 4 years. So, I would love to upgrade my E90. But I may have to wait. And that does not skew my appreciation of cross-segment comparisons.

However, I compared already an F30 loaner to my e90 m3 and there are certain improvements in the chassis, it has something there. I would expect a direct comparison to tell us what really changed among the F8x and an e9x m3. I expect all changes to be a vast improvement.

The comparisons across other non direct competitors are suitable to identify how much these new M cars have gained against what seemed untouchable horizons like those of a GT3 or a turbo 911.

Also, you don't just compete with cars you choose. It is what faces you, and it is always good to estimate your odds.
Appreciate 0