View Single Post
      09-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #77
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

I have driven the X3, a loaner F30, and recently got a loaner 2013 X1 from my dealer. in each car, the system has shown improvement. The X3 was very light and artificial. The F30 is better... but can feel light at certain speeds. However.. this past weekend I got the X1 loaner and I am VERY impressed with the steering the X1. So much so that I drove the loaner across town to show it to a friend who owns an X3. He and I drove around for 30 minutes on his favorite test loop near his home and he was also impressed with the X1 and said it is FAR better than his X3. The X1 actually almost feels a touch too heavy at times.
)
Yeah, that would be because the X1 has hydraulic steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
have you driven any cars with electronic steering?

perhaps you are not aware that this technology has been evolvingand that there have been software updates for current models.
the technolgy hasnt been dumbed down for lower models.. but has been refined to the point where it is now acceptable to BMW M.

indeed, Electronic Power Steering is evolving.. and it appears to be ready for prime time.. As you mentioned... indeed it apparently was not ready for the 5/6... but will be available with likely all future models as part of BMWs efficient dynamics. ( Electric power steering allows for the use of stop/start technology for the engine..)

Dead wrong. Read the press release and review. BMW M decided that the standard EPS module wasn't up to snuff and started completely fresh.

Not to mention the fact that despite the clear upgrades from the early EPS modules, like my 2011 535, even the current modules aren't completely up to snuff. It's still numb, although not nearly as numb, light and remote as, say, an Audi A6.

Even the standard 911's EPS leaves something to be desired. The GT3 shades it severely.

EPS can be made good, but it's not necessarily as rosy a picture that you paint.
Appreciate 0