View Single Post
      05-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #127
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I don't agree with your opinion about the small performance SUV market, but you make two other excellent points I hadn't seen mentioned (at least not in this thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
As far as shoehorning the S63, it's ironic that it says it won't fit into the X3. That means the F3x must be HUGE lol.
That's a great catch, actually. My head was mostly going toward the Z4 and its lower sleek hood that might not accomodate the tall BMW V8 TT S63. However, you are right: how is the X3 going to be less able to hold an engine - any engine - than the 3 series? That makes no sense. And from what we've seen of the F30 mules, there is nothing to suggest these are bigger than an X3 (quite the oppposite, in fact), and thus I don't understand how the reasoning that the engin won't fit in an X3 even makes sense. Now, I still could potentially see this being an issue as far as Z4 goes. But like I said - it is about height as far as can tell, not length. After all, why does a V8 really need to be any longer than an I4? Or for that matter, a friggin I6 which any current BMW chassis will accomodate easily. So, then how is it cheaper to build an entire V6 to get a lower profile engine, than it is to just redesign the turbo configuration on the V8 to accomplish the same thing? Makes no sense.

Quote:
It makes sense that they would chop 2 cylinders off the S63 engine to make the new engine. Would the two less cylinders affect the Cylinder-Bank Comprehensive Manifold? I think it would because from what I understand the CCM connects the cylinders in opposing pairs. With only 3 pairs, that's not possible. CCM is one of the things that gives the S63 its lack of turbo-lag. I'm no engineer but thats just how I understood it.
Another excellent point. Indeed CCM is integral part of the S63, and is the main piece of technology that distinguishes it from the N63. Now, of course, even with an I6 design you obviously don't get CCM, so the argument could simply be that CCM is not going to be there regardless of what layout you use for a 6 cylinder motor, so all configurations should be on the table. Still I don't know why you throw out the baby with the bath water. You've got a great turbo 6 platform to build on - no need to start from scratch.

Quote:
Which leaves the N55 / N54... Personally I think this is what will end up happening. However, i think it will be heavily modified and have completely different characteristics.
Absolutely. Like I said in another post - think of a modern day RB26DETT with a heaping dose of BMW M special sauce for good measure. This is not going to be some N54 with a $2500 chip tune.
Appreciate 0