View Single Post
      02-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #18
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ok, so what I am hearing is that the coil-overs with active dampening aren't electrically adjustable and so they don't integrate with the electronics in the car. That seems like a wasted opportunity. I wonder why they don't design them to plug-and-play with the stock electronics?

That aside, it seems to me that the ultimate aftermarket suspension would have adjustable spring rates (as well as adjustable dampening) so that you can have track and street functions built in to one unit. I guess a fully active suspension could effectively provide that, but I don't know for sure. Weight of the system is probably one trade-off. Or maybe the technology to do it right isn't there yet. Or maybe its just not something enough people want.
There was one option a few years ago where it had a compressor and you could control it from the inside to 3 set settings, I forgot the name of the product but I know it was really pricey. Someone was selling a used set on the e90 forums for around 5k. I think I will now have to rethink the coils idea. Maybe get 20s to hide the gap until lci comes out lol.
Appreciate 0