View Single Post
      01-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow We Interview BMWNA M Manager Matt Russell on Current/Next M3, F10 M5, and M6

BIMMERPOST NEWS
We Interview BMWNA M Manager Matt Russell on F10 M5, M6 and Current/Next M3
COMMENTS
Name:  mattrussell1.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  112.3 KB

We spent some time at the 2012 Detroit NAIAS with Matt Russell, M Brand Manager for BMW North America. Matt is a BMW enthusiast like us and is a BIMMERPOST member himself. We asked Matt some current hot M related topics and he was able to share the following.

Name:  P90082521.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  29.3 KB
*Portions of the following answers may be paraphrased, but retain their original meaning and message.

BMW 1M COUPE

What were the final production numbers for the US 1M?
740 units. The very first one imported was the Valencia Orange 1M Pace Car which debuted at the Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona.

Matt further expanded on the reason the 1M production run wasn't extended into the 2012 model year. It was not due to any issues related to engine/emissions certification, but simply because BMW could not get enough MY2012 production to justify homologation. This had the added benefit of preserving the exclusivity and value of the 2011 1M models.

Name:  blackm5-8.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  57.4 KB
BMW M5 and M6

What is the US availability date for the F10 M5?
Unless plans change, production begins in July. The model year 2013 begins in July and we’d like to bring the MY13 M5. Not anticipating MY2012 M5 for the US. [See also recent US launch info.]

Will there be limited availability of F10 M5 in the 2012 calendar year?
It will be unlimited, but hard to get.

Will manual transmission be available on the M5 from the beginning for the US?
Yes.

Will carbon ceramic brakes be available from the start?
Maybe. Stay tuned.

Any plans for an all-wheel-drive (AWD) F10 M5?
Some people have a concern that we’re going to run into traction problems as horsepower number continues to go up and up. But this car just did a 3.7 second 0-60mph for Car and Driver [full results] on dusty Spanish roads so clearly it doesn’t have much of a traction problem. I think once we get the car tested stateside, it’ll go even faster. So we’re running out of reasons to do AWD. We're in no rush to put AWD on M cars.

Any plans for an F11 M5 touring?
No. Not here.

What is the timeline for M6 models?
This year.

Will the M6 models have more power than the M5?
These cars these days are so powerful and underrated that we’re not going to do 3 here, 4 there, 5 here. We call it 560(hp); it's a nice round number, we like it.

Name:  m3.jpg
Views: 2173
Size:  53.8 KB
BMW M3 - Current and Next Gen

Are there any other special edition M3s coming before end of production for the E92/E93 M3 coupe and convertible?
You shouldn’t be surprised if we have some more. The car is not at the end of the production. We have the car until 2013 [calendar year] as a coupe and convertible. So if we have time to do some more special editions, I would be thrilled.

What is the timeline for the next M3 sedan and coupe?
There won't be a next generation M3 introduced before the current M3 coupe and convertible end of production. [Note: read together with the answer directly above, that would mean that there will be no F80/F82 M3 (sedan/coupe) prior to mid-late 2013 at the earliest.]

M Diesels

Will the X6 M50d and M550d make it to the US?
Slim to no chance.

Appreciate 0