View Single Post
      11-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #22
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
E30/E46/E90 all had purpose built "M" engines. For years BMW Motorsport said that natural apiration was the way to go. Now people fear they will offer a massaged V6 based off the current M5 V8 architecture. Add that Benz and/or Audi has had a similar setup (forced induction V6/V8) it makes the M3 seem less special.
This is nonsense! The S65 is a "massaged" version of the S85 minus two cylinders and it is still a "dedicated" m3 engine.

THey will surely do the same with the next one and take the m5 engine and lop off two cylinders.

The difference is the engine in the m5 is quite similar to the 4.4 L turbo in the 550/750/650 compared to the M5 e60 had a v10 that was nothing like anything else. So for cost perspective the current 4.4 LV8 is already so well known that to build a v6 from this won't take nearly as much time or money to make.

Also regarding the balance of a v6 v. I6. Sure without counterweights the I6 is obviously night and day better but nobody in 70 years has not counterbalanced the v6 properly where it runs as smooth as the I6. Don't get me wrong the I6 had a different feel and sound but not necessarily was anything to do with balance v. the V6's.
Appreciate 0