View Single Post
      10-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #72
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
That's a phenomenal time for a close to stock car for VIR full course! Modded C7 Vette's I've seen with skilled drivers are hard pressed to match that time there... Great job/skill
Thanks mate! I really cannot emphasize how amazing this car is (not my car, I only got 3 laps as I was trying to put data for a friend's car):

I agree I didnt anticipate running this time. Few contributing factors:

1) It was cooler and the car just felt really really strong due to low humidity/coolness.
2) The RE71R should no way be considered a street tire. They are grippier than the RA1/R888 offering and much better than PSS by a long shot.
3) I made sure I lined up first so as to not hit any traffic (but on my 3rd lap I did start to creep up on slower folks and had to bail).

Observations/Improvements:

1) Do NOTHING. Yes this car is that good. I thought it would push with stock camber, it did not. Very easy to manage, granted with stock camber outside tire wear is evident (little bit) but its not needed. The cost/benefit for a street car (inside wear to save outside); its better to leave it stock.

2) I thought the rear 275s would be a limiting factor (especially since I run 265/295 on my E9X as I found running square was overwhelming the rears in my own car). No the F8X it wasnt a limiting factor. True you can lay power down better with wider tires and can stuff up to 305 but expect marginal or slight gains; meaning to say tire width is not a limiting factor which you can blame for adverse lap times.

3) Brakes are awesome. Stock Castrol SRF with Pagid yellows. Unlike my E9X these last a fair bit, believe its the rotor cooling (temps dont creep as high as E9X). I have driven CCB equipped cars on track (MCLaren 650S etc.) but in my own car, which I intend to get, I am getting the steel brakes as I cant honestly say CCB would be worth the performance $ (sure flame me).

Unlike previous gens where you had to work around adding camber, dealing with spitting steering fluid, subframe weakness, etc. This car is done REALLY well. My suggestion to this group, keep your car as is. Save the money, car needs NOTHING. I had a debate with a friend of mine and was able to prove it with data in hand. Look at the deacceleration curves, it brakes as linear as my 997S which is lighter and is supposed to have better monoblocks.

Than's car had spacers and HR springs which I doubt does anything for laptimes, he did it for aesthetics. Car did have DP but I chose to run stock tune keeping it more stockish, ran neck to neck with another F80 to confirm. I dont know what it would be like with higher boost (says some 100hp) because I wouldnt have gotten a right feel for the car then.

Just my 2 pennies of an opinion. Love this chassis. It really will run with 997GT3s and C7Z06s on the track (having first hand experience, not guessing) and you can drive back home to take your family out for dinner in comfort. Same day, folks in NASA GTS3 with full aero, JRZed up, stripped, built motor, fresh Hoosiers, BBK, modified diff etc. were in the same ball park. F8X is that 'mental'.

Castrol SRF, RE71R, Pagid Yellows. That and add an F8X to the mix .... Enjoy!

Regards,

Lutfy

Last edited by lutfy; 10-19-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 4