View Single Post
      03-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #63
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
2) If you say that BMW is shifting towards comfort with the M3/4, then you have no idea what you are talking about, I'm sorry. Your credibility kind of goes out the window when you say that.
3) If you don't get a car because it just simply has a Nav screen now, then that is one hell of a piss poor excuse to skip on a car IMO. Just as ridiculous as a debate I had with another forum member about how push start button and comfort access ruins the driving experience

Again, keep in mind I don't have an F80/2, so it's not like I have a dog in this fight.
Regarding #2 -- exactly right. The F8x with its solidly mounted rear subframe is more hard-core than any prior M3 in numerous aspects (although as TC Kline mentions, the electric steering feedback at/near the limits of adhesion is something missed from the hydraulic days), and apparently BMW is getting their fair share of complaints from owners about road noise from the rear end, lol. If you look at everything BMW M did on the F8x platform, it's a very impressive accomplishment from an engineering perspective. One example is the body-in-white torsional and bending rigidity which is one of the stiffest structures ever built for a production car; as the M chief mentioned in his video (on the board here somewhere), the torsional bending number is over 40,000 N-m/degree which is stiffer than caged race cars of the recent past.

Regarding #3 -- I wouldn't buy a car without comfort access anymore. Weight gain is measured in ounces, and it's just wonderful to have. Our E90 330i we ordered a bit over 9 years ago was spec'd with it, and so when I went on my E90 M3 no-sunroof 6MT hunt about 3 years ago, it was one option I wasn't going to miss having. However, on the F8x, for it not to be standard is a crime when $25k cars everywhere nowadays have it standard (i.e. like the rental 2015 Mustang I had recently).

Seriously, everyone should just enjoy each generation of the M3 for exactly what it is and how it was built during its lifespan. Each wasn't/isn't perfect just like there will never be a perfect car. If you went back and drove a bone stock E30 M3 on its 15" 205/55 tires, etc, right now, you'd think it was dog slow, had massive body roll, etc. These cars are all fantastic, and I'd love to have a garage with pristine examples of each generation.

Regards,
Chuck
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1