View Single Post
      03-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #66
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Regarding #2 -- exactly right. The F8x with its solidly mounted rear subframe is more hard-core than any prior M3 in numerous aspects (although as TC Kline mentions, the electric steering feedback at/near the limits of adhesion is something missed from the hydraulic days), and apparently BMW is getting their fair share of complaints from owners about road noise from the rear end, lol. If you look at everything BMW M did on the F8x platform, it's a very impressive accomplishment from an engineering perspective. One example is the body-in-white torsional and bending rigidity which is one of the stiffest structures ever built for a production car; as the M chief mentioned in his video (on the board here somewhere), the torsional bending number is over 40,000 N-m/degree which is stiffer than caged race cars of the recent past.

Regarding #3 -- I wouldn't buy a car without comfort access anymore. Weight gain is measured in ounces, and it's just wonderful to have. Our E90 330i we ordered a bit over 9 years ago was spec'd with it, and so when I went on my E90 M3 no-sunroof 6MT hunt about 3 years ago, it was one option I wasn't going to miss having. However, on the F8x, for it not to be standard is a crime when $25k cars everywhere nowadays have it standard (i.e. like the rental 2015 Mustang I had recently).

Seriously, everyone should just enjoy each generation of the M3 for exactly what it is and how it was built during its lifespan. Each wasn't/isn't perfect just like there will never be a perfect car. If you went back and drove a bone stock E30 M3 on its 15" 205/55 tires, etc, right now, you'd think it was dog slow, had massive body roll, etc. These cars are all fantastic, and I'd love to have a garage with pristine examples of each generation.

Regards,
Chuck
Chuck,

Love your posts man - so you coming to the f80 party?

I'm about to crack 10k miles on the f80. My e39 m5 was on a dinan stage 2 suspension, but this car is only "slightly" harder than that e39 m5. It's slightly louder, slightly harder, but rides a bit better with a modern, new, adaptive suspension. And obviously not as luxurious interior. It is worlds more agile though, helped tremendously by it's steering ratio.

Regarding comfort access: I agree. However, I didn't buy my f80 with comfort access because:

1. I refused to spend $4k on comfort access and a rear camera, the only two options I wanted out of the package.

2. I like having a car without 10 cut-outs in the bumper for parking distance pimples and headlight washers (10!!) and I couldn't get comfort access without all those extras.

I'm switching back to summer tires today. I think this car is more DD-enjoyable than any previous M3 but alot of it comes down to a chassis more suitable for performance and a suspension more tunable for comfort. It's not like this version has more sound insulation/isolation than the e90.