Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
The Shiftek shifter is in. Throws are roughly 1/3 shorter, shift rod is shorter. Feel is somewhat notchy, with a little more force required to shift, but altogether a very nice shift feel. I'll enjoy driving this everyday.

The instructions provided with the shifter were flat wrong. I've never seen the mechanic who installed it as frustrated as he was with this, and he can tear down a whole car and reassemble it. One item that sticks out is that he had to remove a floor pan bushing to access the shift mechanism; this was not mentioned in the instructions. Maybe it's an M3 vs. M4 thing? Dunno. Buyer beware, it's not easy.

Then there's the positioning. It's positioned and canted substantially to the right compared to stock. The one thing that I noticed besides the shorter, firmer shifts was that apparently I hang my fingers down over the passenger side of the knob. I pinched my fingers between the shifter and the console the first time I shifted into 6th - never happened before. I don't do that anymore.

I'm going to live with the strange positioning because of the assembly frustration factor. And I've never heard anyone comment on the position of my 6MT.

It feels good with nice shift action. If I were to do it again, I'd go with something else. UUC now seems to have overcome the leaning shifter issue. Shiftek has not.

Thank you for the great feedback and insight on the installation process. This thread has turned into a lot of great information pertaining to the F8X SSK's. Would love to keep this going and see if we can get more forum members to contribute their thoughts/ideas/insights.

/// M3
Appreciate 0