View Single Post
      01-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #127
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
If they get the emissions per liter right, and deliver a platform that has less weight and the same HP figures as the previous model, they have a winner!
I mostly disagree, if for no other reason than on the basis that this makes for a tough sell in a very competitive market.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that efficiency and emissions are very important. But consider that the trend in the industry as far as engines are concerned has not changed in that horsepower numbers are still being edged upward. This holds true for BMW as well. For example, their most recently introduced engine, the N63Tu, has about 50hp more than its predecessor (the N63). It puts the 6 Series and 7 Series at the top of their classes as far as power is concerned (ahead of the S7/CLS550 and A8 4.0/S550). It will soon do the same for the 5 Series, X5 and X6. And the engine is not necessarily more efficient than its forebear, though it is not less so either.

In the case of the "S55", we do know that BMW will increase efficiency vs. the S65. But that still does not mean it won't offer greater performance. In fact, we can logically expect a situation similar to the M5/M6 transition from S85 to S63Tu. I.e. roughly 20% more efficient with about 10% more power.
Appreciate 0