01-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #106
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I disagree. In the past there have been a number of M engines that were not based upon a current generation series engine. In fact, if the M I6 is indeed based upon the the B68, it will be the first ever M engine to my knowledge that debuts essentially right along side of a brand new series engine on which it is based. And actually, we don't even know if the B68 will debut this year with the F32 or not - this is still only speculation. If that does not happen then there is almost zero chance in my opinion that the new family will be introduced with the M3.
BUT it´s real simple ... do you think BMW/M-GmbH would spend the money to develop (and produce) two totally different I6 engines of the same or nearly the same displacement side by side ... I would bet the simple answer is NO ... never!

SO ... if the M3/M4 gets an I6 the only logical conclusion is that it was based on the B38/48/68 engine platform ... and its also possible that an new engine debuts in m form ... look at the N63Tü which debuts in the M5 as S63Tü ... and also the other infos made sence ... that they would use the latest valvetronic system (like in the B38?).

FOR me there is only one reason for two totally different 6-cylinder-engines, build side by side and with the same displacement, ... an 3.0ltr.R6 BiTurbo for all .35i/.40i and M.35i/M.40i and an unique and stand alone 3.0ltr.V6 BiTurbo for the M3/M4 ... both based on the B38 platform with many common or common produced parts.

BUT we are already sure, that the new M3/M4 engine could only be an I6 !!!
Appreciate 0