07-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #96
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I just had the chance to read the full interview and one part jumped out at me that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet:

Quote:
MT: Could M do a hybrid?

FN: It’s not necessary. The i brand represents those cars for BMW. Sure, a lightweight lithium-ion battery is useful, not for drive but for auxiliary functions and support systems. But there’s no M hybrid in the near future. But if, say, China passed regulations that meant I couldn’t sell M cars there without hybrid, I would have to think about it.
To me he dropped a big hint there. This might not necessarily apply to the F8x, but it could. However, certainly they are looking seriously into KERS-type systems, and if that research was not yielding potentially useful results, I don't think he'd even have made mention of the possible usefulness of the batteries.
Auxilliary functions could also be the MGU for the turbo (Motor Generator Unit). This is a electric motor coupled to the turbo to make spool up faster and regenerate exhaust energy when used as a boost controller instead of the wastegate. Will be used on F1 engines next year and BMW has patented a electrically assisted turbo. A lightweight battery pack would be an essential part of such a system...
Appreciate 0