07-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #103
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
A tidbit of very positive news here IMO.

Couldn't Nitschke though at least got the correct redline for the current M5, it is not 7400 rpm as he stated, it is 7200 rpm. An simply inexcusable error in my evaluation.

Although high up (roof) the current car already has a CF roof and also has an aluminum hood. I bore easily of folks resting on their laurels in this way. Also the current car already has composite bumper components (ends). It also has made extensive use of hollow components in both the engine/drive train and chassis to manage weight gain (notice how I don't say to achieve light weight).

Now that we have the "nothing new here" aside. The CF and magnesium in crash zones and the CF trunk lid are indeed both new and positive.

I would not put that past BMW for one second.
When it comes to the redline, remember that there has been a journalist and probably others involved in WRITING the text that is in the interview. It might not be accurate in regards as to what Nitschke said. I'm more willing to blame the journo, or whomever wrote the article, than the head of BMW M for this mistake...

As regards the weight saving, he's just stating that next gen will continue with some of the allready implemented measures, as well as introducing some really significant new ones. Surely, that's not resting on the laurels is it?

Are you saying they should abandon CF roof since the E9x allready has it? Or NOT use weight saving components in the engine, since that allready has been done?

Until we get final specs it's hard to evaluate how far BMW has gone or how much further they have pushed the envelope compared with the E9X M3. Still a bit early to dismiss or applaud the next gen yet. But, some positive signs in that interview IMHO
Appreciate 0