07-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #108
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
When it comes to the redline, remember that there has been a journalist and probably others involved in WRITING the text that is in the interview. It might not be accurate in regards as to what Nitschke said. I'm more willing to blame the journo, or whomever wrote the article, than the head of BMW M for this mistake...
I say more likely a simple mistake/brain fart rather than blaming the journalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
As regards the weight saving, he's just stating that next gen will continue with some of the allready implemented measures, as well as introducing some really significant new ones. Surely, that's not resting on the laurels is it?

Are you saying they should abandon CF roof since the E9x allready has it? Or NOT use weight saving components in the engine, since that allready has been done?

Until we get final specs it's hard to evaluate how far BMW has gone or how much further they have pushed the envelope compared with the E9X M3. Still a bit early to dismiss or applaud the next gen yet. But, some positive signs in that interview IMHO
Nothing wrong with repeating what already works. It just sounds to me to be a of regurgitation of the past and yes, resting on ones laurels. I could be reading too much into it but the norm in such discussions is to speak with a large to entire focus on the new things and he clearly isn't.

I'm not dismissing the car, not dismissing their weight savings efforts. I'd virtually guarantee the car will be lighter than the E92 M3 but likley won't be lighter than the 435i (truly apples to apples) and almost for sure nor lighter than 3300 curb. I've also stated many times that I'd also be willing to be that the car will continue its absolute class dominating position.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0