View Single Post
      08-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #66
lukester
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

had a Nissan GT-R, had a blown '09 Challenger SRT8 6speed manual and now I'm driving the M3 6speed manual. All cars had been very track optimized with nearly slicks, big brakes, Pole Position seats, KW suspension, ....

But if the new one is gonna be a bi or tri turbo I'm gonna buy a fairly used Porsche GT3 RS.
No bullshit equipment nobody needs - natural aspirated - 6 speed manual - awesome seats - awesome brakes - real lightweight

Guys...we don't need stuff like "12 zone climate control", leather on the dashboard, "486 speakers sound system", parking sensors, rain sensors, start/stop automatic, Internet, TV, .... and all that stuff which adds weight and doesn't have nothing to do with a real driving machine! ... absolutely nothing!

All of these features are really nice to have and perfect for a 320d daily driver. But where's the real M-Car?
Why are we loosing the high-rev engine? The best of the breed of engine technology?
Why are you adding more and more weight with each generation?

A good friend of mine has a 1M Coupe with all mods done. That thing has over 390HP and massive torque. But even though. Pedal response is "slow" and driving a turbo will never give you that feeling what a NA engines gives you. The direct and lightspeed connection between your brain, foot and the butterfly valves.
Compared to a optimized M3 it's really a shame that the 1M Coupe has a M badge.

Another good friend of mine had the new Z4 with the 3.0 biturbo for 2 days from the dealer. He's a carnut like me and no ... he didn't buy it but bought a fairly used driving machine. The "old" Z4 M coupe.
Whatta difference. The new one is a fat comfortable crusing machine. But in terms of performance and feedback from the car and the street it feels like a schoolbus. Really. I'm absolutely disappointed of the "M brand".
Every new car they throw onto the market is getting more and more extras and weight and looses feedback as well as beeing a driving machine.

That's why I sold my GT-R and bought the M3. The Challenger is still here because it's not comparable and I just love that thing - but it's not a track tool.

And to be honest. After driving a track ready M3 e46 I know I should have bought that instead of an e92 M3.

Last edited by lukester; 08-11-2011 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0