02-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #58
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01
Speedfan, I agree with you. For a larger car the V8 seems to make sense for a lot of buyers. M-B don't have any trouble selling C63s with the 6.2 litre V8. People tend to fall in love with the sound of the M-B V8s in particular.

However V8s are not for me - I would only ever buy a BMW with an inline 6. Mainly because of the sound and the smoothness. V6 will be lighter, but to me it smells like compromise in the interests of vehicle packaging.

To me BMW has always been synonymous with inline-6 engines. If I wanted a twin turbo V6, I could buy a Nissan GTR. Instead I rather buy a car that has BMW character. To me an inline-6 engine is probably the single most significant part of BMW's prestige and reputation.
To each their own - I personally view M character with balance and performance with every-day drivability - regardless of whether it's an i6, v6, v8, v8tt, s85 v-10, etc.

If BMW decides that the V6 configuration will outperform the i6 configuration (all other factors being equal and the developmental budget allowing either option) I don't understand why people would care.

Assume hypothetically BMW offered both I6 and V6 in the new F80 for the same or very similar price. Your options would be: 1) I6 (traditional sound, traditional configuration); or 2) V6 which is faster on most/all tracks due to better cooling, lower center of gravity, etc etc but without "traditional" I6 layout or exhaust
sound (but would turbo i6 have same traditional exhaust sound as NA I6 engines from past anyway)?

I would choose option 2 above - even if it meant a slightly higher price than I6 - and I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of current/future would also...
Appreciate 0