View Single Post
      05-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
has it been confirmed by BMW that the M variant of the F30 body will be called the F80?
As far as I know, no, BMW has not confirmed it. However, that type of information from insiders is typically reliable.

Quote:
I just don't understand the purpose of this, and it also has never been done like that with previous generation BMWs.

Outside of the "ENTHUSIASTS", such as ourselves..I don't think many have any clue that they currently own an E46 or an E90 or whatever model they have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
If they are calling the M versions with different model delinations, does it seem to reason that perhaps it will not look at all like the F30? Meaning perhaps it shares the same platform, but is there a chance that the body is quite different? What else would be driving the different model definitions?
The reason for the different model code is quite possibly driven by the fact that the M3 will be the first M model to make more extensive use of CFRP (more than just the roof).

The fundamental shape and aesthetic of the car is not likely to change from the F30. Spyshots essentially confirm this already. So don't expect changes to the greenhouse, passenger cabin, beltline or wheelbase. I strongly suspect that the headlights and taillights will also be the same as those found on the F30 as well. Doors and decklid too probably, although either could potentially be made from carbon fiber for the M3 instead.
Appreciate 0