View Single Post
      05-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #118
cged14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I don't understand why it has to come to S65 vs. N54 or turbo vs. NA all the time. At the time of E46 M3 CSL (maybe the best M car of all time imo) BMW felt like they reached the limits of NA inline sixes and they increased the displacement and number of cylinders with V8 M3 and V10 M5. It was first the M5 and the S65 was just a development of the V10 with 2 less cylinders. It is just the same scheme, same play all over again, first the F10 M5 with a twin turbo eight cylinder replacing the NA V10 and now an inline six twin turbo replacing the NA V8 in their respective models. Why is it a shock even? BMW know what they are doing but some people in these forums don't seem to have a clue about why they are whining just because they are hallucinating with a beautiful engine noise. Even Bugatti Veyron has four turbos if I remember correctly and only Lambo and Ferrari makes great and capable NA engines today, but can we or should we afford one Lambo or Ferrari unless we live in Cote d'Azur?
agreed. the only constant in life is change; car manufacturers are no different. new technologies enter in the automotive industry on a seemingly daily basis. even ferrari is using gm's mag suspensions. in order to survive, car manufacturers must play to the global zeitgeist - which is fine blend between horsepower and efficiency. i mean, look at the new gt500 - 662 hp and it dodges the gas guzzler tax? more power to ford for being innovative.
Appreciate 0