05-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The M3 and M5 were traditionally positioned to cover the entire market (with a few exceptions) for the BMW performance coupe/sedan buyer. As BMW has begun to introduce new M models, this is changing. We will have the M2, M3, M4, M5, M6. With a change in marketing strategy, I would not be surprised to see the M3 outsell the M4.
Hi mkoesel,

Long time, no chat. I hope all is well

As far as the F8X generation is concerned, I would be very surprised if the M3 outsold the M4 for a few reasons:

- History: While past performance is no indicator of future success, the coupe has outsold the sedan when both were available (E36M and E9XM).
- Production realities: The F80 and F82 will likely debut much closer together than the F30 and F32 will, which means that the F80 will have a shorter production run than the F82.
- Mathematical disadvantage: There will only be one M3 SKU (F80) and three M4 SKUs (F82, F83, and F86). When you take the first two points into account, it seems unlikely that there will be one M3 sold for each of the three M4 variants.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 05-15-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0