View Single Post
      05-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

All good points, aajami. You may be correct.

Let me be more specific - I suspect that there will be intervals of time over which the M3 sedan outsells the M4 coupe. I am expecting a huge marketing push from BMW on this one. While I acknowledge that performance cars tend to have two doors, there are many more sedan buyers out there than coupe buyers. With a (relatively) fuel efficient turbocharged I6 under the hood, BMW should theoretically be able to convert a lot of would be 335i buyers to the M3. I guess that will depend somewhat on where pricing ends up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Hi mkoesel,

Long time, no chat. I hope all is well

As far as the F8X generation is concerned, I would be very surprised if the M3 outsold the M4 for a few reasons:

- History: While past performance is no indicator of future success, the coupe has outsold the sedan when both were available (E36M and E9XM).
- Production realities: The F80 and F82 will likely debut much closer together than the F30 and F32 will, which means that the F80 will have a shorter production run than the F82.
- Mathematical disadvantage: There will only be one M3 SKU (F80) and three M4 SKUs (F82, F83, and F86). When you take the first two points into account, it seems unlikely that there will be three M3s sold for every one variant of the M4.
Appreciate 0